Saturday, August 22, 2009

Alumni Praise






From Palm Beach Atlantic University's website, Kim Capasso, (FMCS grad Class of 2000)

Nursing Grad Embarks on USAF Career
Kim Capasso, 2008 graduate of PBA’s School of Nursing, is flying high these days. Foregoing more conventional post-graduate nursing positions, she is training at the David Grant USAF Medical Center at the Travis Air Force Base located near San Francisco, California. Her goal is to be an Air Force flight nurse, helping to transport the sick and wounded between medical facilities.



“I became interested in flight nursing because of all of the stories I heard of others who have done it,” Capasso says. “From the different situations you get put into to all of the traveling that is involved, it sounded exciting. Plus you get your wings!” Ultimately Capasso wants to be part of a CCAT team (critical care air transport).




Before reaching that point, however, the training process is long and rigorous. In August Capasso completed five weeks of commissioned officers training at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. She is now enrolled in the 12-week nurse transition program at the USAF Medical Center at Travis. “This program was created for nurses coming into the Air Force with less than a year of nursing experience,” Capasso says. “It is designed to ease you into military life, as well as help you go from school to working a floor all on your own.” To qualify as a flight nurse, “You have to go through flight school and survival training.”



Capasso credits her PBA education with helping her adapt to the rigors of military life. “Through PBA I was able to get amazing training as a leader, as well as put that into practice through many leadership positions on campus and in the nursing school. I already have been able to put those skills into practice in my current situation.”



Looking ahead, Capasso says, “Just starting out in the Air Force and in my career as a nurse, it’s hard to see where the future will take me. The possibilities are absolutely endless! For now I’m concentrating on learning how to become a strong, competent nurse and a responsible leader as an officer. I know I have more to learn than I can possibly even imagine. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for my life through all of this!”

1 comment:

isaac said...

god bless and all the us militery and the persons who risk themself
god bless america!!